Thursday, January 26, 2012

Biddies, by Invitation Only

Yesterday, I was allowed the privilege of posing as a "Biddy."
What is a biddy, you ask? Well, the dictionary defines it as:  a fussbudget, especially a fussy old woman, a woman, esp an old gossipy or interfering one; or a chicken; a dialect word for hen. It was with this definition in mind that, as an adolescent child, I named my mother and her group cackling lady friends who met around our dining table every Monday night to indulge in wine and create show stopping craft projects, during which time I was banished to my bedroom to adhere to an early bed time. To be perfectly honest, I called them "Old Biddies." They called themselves a "sewing circle," but later adopted the word "Biddies" to describe their tight-knit group of crafty friends, choosing to forgo "old."
I am not sure what the initiation process was that made you a bonafide "Biddy," but it must have been brutal. Occasionally, by invitation only, ladies would audition. Few made the cut and even less stood the test of time. I am also not sure when the Biddies went from being a group of annoying cackling hens (in my mind's eye) to a tradition I admire.
The Biddies have been meeting regularly for nearly 20 years now, although I wonder if they realize that. They have supported each other through child rearing, moves (both long distance and short), divorce, college classes, menopause, illness and death in each other's family, grandchildren, and milestones that I do not even know about. They no longer meet weekly, but monthly with additional "celebrations" mixed in throughout the year to account for each other's birthdays, Christmas, or other party-worthy events. I use the term "party-worthy" quite loose, as they will find any mundane reason to celebrate and it will be a shindig to remember.
It was one of these party-worthy events I was invited to attend last night. We were celebrating the lunar new year; or Chinese New Year- the year of the dragon. The party was being hosted by my mother's Biddy bestie, Brenda; who, in true Biddy fashion, had pulled out all the stops.
Brenda's home was adorned with beautiful Chinese art and decorations arranged in beautiful displays. Chinese lanterns hung from the ceiling and wooden carved dragon art panels hung in front of the windows. Her home was warm and smelled of ginger and wasabi.
My mother and Brenda were dressed in traditional oriental attire made of silk, with chopsticks in their hair. Each Biddy, and myself- the Biddy poser- brought a Chinese dish to contribute. I can't prove that my recipe was traditionally Chinese, it was chosen because it had "Chinese" in the title, and the ingredients were in my cupboard. But what better dish for a Biddy poser to bring than a poser Chinese dish? Regardless of whether or not it was authentic, it was delicious and a total hit.
Here is the recipe:



Chinese Fried Walnuts & Pecans


Ingredients

  • 1 pound shelled walnuts or pecans
  • 1 cup sugar
  • oil
  • salt

Directions

  1. Place walnuts in a medium stock pot. Cover with water and boil for 2 minutes. Strain, but do not rinse. Transfer to a bowl, and toss with sugar while still hot until well coated.
  2. Heat 3 inches of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil appears to shimmer, fry 1 nut to test for heat. Nut should begin to sizzle immediately. Fry 1/3 batch of nuts at a time for 4 to 5 minutes uncovered. Toss nuts before each batch, and repeat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer each batch to a cookie sheet to cool. Season to taste with salt, and break apart when cool
  3. Devour.

Besides wining and dining, the Biddies always exchange homemade or creative gifts. Jean, who, like my mother, is an O.B. (Original Biddy- a founding member), made origami kimonos to give last night. Brenda gave Year of the Dragon scratch tickets from which I won $4.



My mother beaded this beautiful charm out of Dragon Blood Jasper which, in Chinese culture, is said to enhance courage, strength and vitality. Above the Jasper stone is a black pearl symbolizing wisdom; and Jade for good luck and prosperity.

Later, the Biddies and I participated in a themed craft:
We made Luminary Lanterns by wrapping paper around a square block and gluing the sticks in place (like pictured) while still on the block. When the hot glue was dry, we slid the block out and, Viola! The paper illuminates beautifully with a lit candle inside.
We rounded out the evening with perhaps the greatest Biddy tradition: The Junk Swap. "'Cuz one Biddy's junk is another Biddy's treasure" ... or so I was told. I became a believer when I scored this fabulous dress form mannequin lamp!

Does it get any better?
My night as a guest in the exclusive members only Biddy club was bound to come to an end, but I am grateful for the delicious food, conversation, a night away from the kids, years of tradition, and my dress form mannequin lamp. Happy New Year, Friends and Biddies... and Biddy-friends!

2 comments:

  1. This is great, Rhonda!! Loved reading it!
    Krissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do excellent work - still waiting for your reality tv program. Aunt Becky

    ReplyDelete